Late June every year is a time of change in the Rotary world.
At that time of the year, all 34,000 Rotary Clubs around the World conduct a Changeover ceremony which brings NEW leadership, NEW ideas, a NEW theme and renewed vitality to each Club. This changeover of leadership occurs throughout Rotary at Club, District and International level.
Due to schedule conflicts, the Rotary Club of Suva East conducted their changeover dinner on 21 July 2016. Outgoing President Shane Harris welcomed new President Atul Raturi to the helm.
In his President’s report, Shane commented on the 2000 Rotary related emails he’d received over the course of the year and the 800+ he’d sent. He thanked the 2015-2016 board for their service
Secretary/ Webmaster/ Club Bulletin: Molly Powers
Treasurer: Inoke Waqaleyu (supported by Rakesh Gokal)
Club Services Director / Public Relations / Marketing : Mark Komene (supported by Mark’s PA, Annie Toro)
Events Coordinator: Prayush Chetty
Rotary Foundation / Funding / Corporate Sponsors: Satya Samy / Jennifer Poole
Under Shane’s leadership, the following Rotary Awareness Activities were undertaken:
• Cyclone Winston Appeal and support by our club. Members donating vehicles and time to take ERK’s to villages across Viti Levu with special appreciation to Molly for her ongoing efforts on this. Majority of volunteers all wore Rotary T-Shirts.
• Press Conference in December 2015 which was televised and also in the papers supporting the Star Wars Block Buster Fundraiser with Damodar Village Group and Rotary Club Suva East.
• Rotary Pacific Water head office tour and subsequent Photo Gallery Exhibition tour at USP.
• RCSE supported the hand over of much needed medical equipment to CWM donated by Australia through Rotary Pacific
2015-2016 Projects & Fundraisers included
• Habitat Housing Project – provide house for family that lost everything in a fire – money donated was $3,500 with strong support from members to help build the wall cladding and flooring for this new home including water connection to the site. Special appreciate goes to Michelle for coordinating this event and donating additional time a financial support to this family.
• RCSE also supported Habitat Fiji with coordination of volunteers from various clubs including Rotaract to put together Shelter Kits.
• Youth Clinic – Club 26. RCSE donated $1,500 plus provided air conditioning and power upgrade to suit the new facility at no cost to MSP. District Grant of $500 was also provided for FFE.
• Veiuto Sick Bay – financial support and donations from members.
• Working with other clubs we sold 50 tickets and attended the St Patrick’s Day fundraiser
• Rotary East/Rotaract Halloween Barrel Night – 31st October 2015. Funds raised $1,500 FJD RCSE. Additional funds were raised by Rotaract on the night for their cause.
• Star Wars Blockbuster Opening at Damodar Village in Dec 2015 (support by Damodar Village Group for this event and Rotaract) – $3,500 raised
Thank you Shane, Molly, Inoke, Mark, Pray, Satya, and Jennifer for your service, and thank you to Rakesh and Annie for your supporting roles.